STREUfex is different from raw straw or shavings. Therefore, handling of this bedding is different as well.
There are very important guidelines to follow in order to use STREUfex properly and to receive the maximum benefits (outlined below in 1 &2).
STREUfex works best on rubber mats, asphalt, concrete or wood floors.
Dirt or clay floors, no matter how compact, are not ideal surfaces because STREUfex tends to pull the moisture out of the dirt, resulting in a dry powder surface, creating a high dust level.
1. Initial Box Set Up:
- For the initial box set up the amount of STREUfex required is dependent on the size of the box. Please refer to Table 1 at the bottom of this leaflet for the recommended amount of STREUfex to be used for particular box sizes.
- For example: 4m x 3.5m requires 12 bags of STREUfex for its initial fill. In this example, spread the 12 STREUfex bags evenly over the box floor to give you a cover of approximately 50mm – 75mm (in depth).
- While visually this may appear to be a small amount of cover for horse bedding, STREUfex is designed to break down from its pellet form into small straw fibres. This process takes place over 24-48 hours, and sees the bedding double in depth and provides excellent coverage and cushioning for the horse.
- While this level has proven over time to be the most effective for easy daily maintenance and comfort for the horse each individual will have their own thoughts on what is the appropriate level of bedding for a particular horse.
Table 1. STREUfex Product Setup Calculation Table
Chart for recommended STREUfex bags per box.
2. Ongoing Box Maintenance:
- For daily maintenance remove manure and wet areas only. After locating the wet area, using a pitchfork with narrow tines, pull away the good material from the area and remove the wet material by shaking the fork allowing the dry material to fall through to the floor while capturing the wet.
- Using STREUfex it is not necessary to turn the whole box, as you would do with raw straw and shavings. While straw and shavings are moved against the walls during the daily cleaning and moved backwards to create an even layer again this should not be done with STREUfex, because the old material is then mixed with the new material. The wet material only needs to be removed.
- Because of the low amount taken out during the daily clean out it is not necessary to top up with the new product on a daily basis 1 bag every 3–5 days is sufficient.
- Before replacement of a new bag bring the existing material from outside walls to the area the horse urinates primarily. Place the new material on the outer edges of the stall. This creates a rotation and refreshment of the bedding during usage. There will be no need to strip the entire stall if you do not mix the fresh bedding with the existing bedding. This will replenish the product that has been removed with the waste and will keep the box in a fresh, healthy and hygienic state.
- Due to its advanced absorption and expansion qualities, the amount of waste produced will be reduced by 60-70% compared to straw or shavings and unlike shavings STREUfex should NEVER be watered down.
- Removed STREUfex -manure is a fast biodegradable material and decomposes into an all-natural high quality fertilizer within 2 to 3 weeks, which can be spread on fields or grasslands. No acids are created during the breakdown process. Therefore, STREUfex compost has a positive impact to the soil.
- Should you have any questions regarding the STREUfex guidelines please contact us via our details listed on the website or brochure.